Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Tuesday 28 July 2009

Of Animals And Nature

The next section in the Best-Loved Poems Anthology is "Of Animals And Nature" and I confess I intend to cheat. I have struggled for days to write something new (you'll recall that I intended to use only new poems) and failed miserably. The truth of the matter is that it just isn't type of poetry that I'm especially good at. So I've dug out an old one poem. It doesn't need any explanation. The next section in the book is the last one, "Of Magic And Mystery". Lets hope that I have better luck with that.

Morning in the Karlak Mountains

I need a mystic camera
To capture the moment, hold it forever
In an amber slice of time.
I need to capture the infinite
Shades of brown and green
Of the grass, the moss, the pine.
I need to capture the sun
That paints diamonds on the river
And stripes upon the ground.
I need to capture the gathered gloom
As I look towards the hill
Where the trees are huddled round.
I need to capture the chattering
Whining, buzzing of the insects
Hanging unseen in the air,
The ever changing never changing
Murmur of the tumbling water
That cascades down natures stair.
I need to capture the morning smell
Of hay, and summer and rotting wood
And the warming earth
And the still calm tranquillity
Of this moment in the mountains
This new day's birth.
I have my mystic camera
The words that stir the memory
The words that try
To re-conjure with a phrase the moment
I have the perfect mystic camera,
The lens of the mind's eye.

No comments: