Blog News

1. Comments are still disabled though I am thinking of enabling them again.

2. There are now several extra pages - Poetry Index, Travel, Education, Childish Things - accessible at the top of the page. They index entires before October 2013.

3. I will, in the next few weeks, be adding new pages with other indexes.

Tuesday 14 July 2009

Life

The third section in that poetry book is poetry about life. This is clearly a rather wide brief but I think this piece fits there quite well. Like this others in this project it is completely new (well about a week old, now) and I'd have to say I'm rather proud of it. I'd be interested to know what my overseas readers think but it seems to me to have a quintessential Britishness about it.

The couple

On a sheltered bench on the seafront they sat,
Looking out at the sea through the rain.
As I passed them, I gave them a tip of my hat.
I had seen them before and would see them again:
An old woman, her coat buttoned tight to her chin:
An old man with hands folded on top of his cane.
And I asked how they were; they looked fragile and thin.
The old man spoke for both; said, "Mustn't complain."

1 comment:

robert said...

Good morning from 'mainland Europe'. Liked this piece, as for me it reflects what I see most of the times, being either on holidays in a hotel or on a beach.
People should be relaxed and happy, but as soon as a foreigner talks to them, asks questions, they 'shut down' and want to walk away - guess Life would be much better if people would talk more.